Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2022 BRZ
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the Japanese BRZ they show the chrome tips out farther, are they longer or is the pipe that they connect to longer? I’d love my tips to come out farther ! Can I order those OEM tips if they are 3 inches longer? Anyone have any info on these Exhaust tips ?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was wondering the same thing a while back, but someone said that the muffler is mounted farther in on the US version for some reason, so it's not really that the tips are shorter, just that the piping is tucked farther under.

·
Registered
181 Posts
There are actually bolts on the bottom of the tips that attach them to the tailpipes. You literally can loosen the bolt, slide them out further and snug them back up. No replacement parts needed.
Hey, nice to know, Tru-Boost, thanks!

·
Registered
2022 BRZ
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are actually bolts on the bottom of the tips that attach them to the tailpipes. You literally can loosen the bolt, slide them out further and snug them back up. No replacement parts needed.
I’ll look at that, I thought that the bolts held the tip to a threaded nut on the tailpipe. Only way to find out is to remove one. Has anyone tried it ??

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Sport-Tech (6 speed manual)
13 Posts
I’ll look at that, I thought that the bolts held the tip to a threaded nut on the tailpipe. Only way to find out is to remove one. Has anyone tried it ??
Let me know if you have tried this. Really annoyed with the Tip fitment…
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
49 Posts
The cut-outs do seem quite large for the way the stock tips appear. As though there are upcoming intentions for the larger openings. You would think that someone at the factory would notice an appearance issue like that. I wonder if exhaust discoloring the surround will be an issue ?

·
Registered
181 Posts
It's a mystery really as to why ours are like that, and the Japanese market ones protrude just the right amount. The only theories I've been able to come up with is ours are more recessed because someone was worried they would scrape on steep entry/exits, and/or it's for insurance reasons i.e. the more recessed ones make the entire exhaust less vulnerable if the car is rear-ended as hitting the tips could spread the damage to the whole exhaust. These are just my theories, of course.

·
Registered
Awaiting a 2022 GR86 premium in Trueno blue
56 Posts
Someone posted on here they unbolted the tips, slid them out furthest they can and they still don't sit as flush as the jdm cars,
So either it's different tips all together or more than that.

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
278 Posts
JDM cars do use different tips that are longer. Ours have adjustment but it may not be enough for what some are looking for

·
Registered
27 Posts
It was the same on the previous gen cars except they were pea shooters. For some reason you guys in the states have to have the recessed tips, at least you get the full sized ones this time

·
Registered
2022 BRZ
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JDM cars do use different tips that are longer. Ours have adjustment but it may not be enough for what some are looking for
Well, it’s winter here in Canada and looking at the chrome extensions, I think they are bolted in place with no movement and if so the pipe is to short to move the tip about 3 inches back. The tips only look about 4 inches long. My plan is to go to a custom muffler shop, ask them if they have any ideas. My first thought is to add 3 inches to the tail pipe just before the exhaust tip. They can weld a stainless piece of exhaust pipe and using stainless welding Rod it should last. That’s my thought for today. I do not want an after market muffler, I’m happy with the sound of the OEM muffler. I can’t understand why the home market muffler would be different then the export market. Is the Japanese Tip only 4 inches long? If so then the tail pipe it is attached to must be longer??

·
Registered
56 Posts
Something to do with regulations of how much protrusion of exhaust you can have in North America perhaps.

That coupled with the fact Toyota/Subaru maybe over did the amount of how much to shorten the tips.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Sport-Tech (6 speed manual)
13 Posts
Well, it’s winter here in Canada and looking at the chrome extensions, I think they are bolted in place with no movement and if so the pipe is to short to move the tip about 3 inches back. The tips only look about 4 inches long. My plan is to go to a custom muffler shop, ask them if they have any ideas. My first thought is to add 3 inches to the tail pipe just before the exhaust tip. They can weld a stainless piece of exhaust pipe and using stainless welding Rod it should last. That’s my thought for today. I do not want an after market muffler, I’m happy with the sound of the OEM muffler. I can’t understand why the home market muffler would be different then the export market. Is the Japanese Tip only 4 inches long? If so then the tail pipe it is attached to must be longer??
from what I have seen from photos on Instagram, the exhaust tips look longer on the JDM models. I could be wrong on this but I have cross referenced pictures to what mine look like and they are a couple inches longer by the looks of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Something to do with regulations of how much protrusion of exhaust you can have in North America perhaps.

That coupled with the fact Toyota/Subaru maybe over did the amount of how much to shorten the tips.
I believe it's for insurance reasons. Same thing happened to the 911, but they use fake tips to make up for it. Basically the reasoning is that a minor fender bender could damage the exhaust, which costs insurance companies $$$.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I believe it's for insurance reasons. Same thing happened to the 911, but they use fake tips to make up for it. Basically the reasoning is that a minor fender bender could damage the exhaust, which costs insurance companies $$$.

That makes sense, lame, but it does make sense, for the insurance companies anyway, give us bunk exhaust tips for the sake of saving them money.

If it's simply the tips being different, I guess there is the option of buying just the jdm tips, although I would suspect them to be around $100 per side.

·
Registered
2018 Fiesta ST, 2019 Shelby GT350R
149 Posts
That makes sense, lame, but it does make sense, for the insurance companies anyway, give us bunk exhaust tips for the sake of saving them money.

If it's simply the tips being different, I guess there is the option of buying just the jdm tips, although I would suspect them to be around $100 per side.
It’s also likely a burn hazard if the tips protrude too far. Mini Coopers had such a problem....

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Someone over on the FT86 forums bought the JDM ones and installed them (I think they are on this forum too) - I ordered a pair as well.

The longer finishers just look 1,000,000 times better.

Will probably get an exhaust anyways at some point, but waiting to see if any more companies release new versions of the exhaust for the 2022's soon.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The stock exhaust looks even smaller when you have the rear diffuser installed. See mine.
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Wheel Tire

Still waiting on my STI Under Spoilers and Trunk Spoiler but definitely looking at different options on exhaust as the stock one looks to small and is so quite.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts