Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I chose to get the automatic BRZ because I travel the country for work. I am beginning to realize I would rather it manual. I put less than 1000 miles on it and am wondering what method should I go to getting a manual. Trade it in? Or do I do an manual swap?

·
Registered
2018 Fiesta ST, 2019 Shelby GT350R
149 Posts
So I chose to get the automatic BRZ because I travel the country for work. I am beginning to realize I would rather it manual. I put less than 1000 miles on it and am wondering what method should I go to getting a manual. Trade it in? Or do I do an manual swap?
Bummer. You may only lose a little money, but what a hassle. Good luck.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Bummer. You may only lose a little money, but what a hassle. Good luck.
I don't know about that. The way the used market is upsidedown right now you might make money. I was looking for a used BRZ and they wanted $5k more than a new one, so I placed an order.
You might have to trade it in at a different dealer or order one and not take one from their lot.

·
Registered
181 Posts
At any other time this might be a lose/lose situation, but I'd inquire around to some different dealers. There's probably a few out there that will give you most, if not all, of your money back in a trade due to today's inflated market, not to mention these cars will probably never be in higher demand than they are right now, at their release. Better to do it now than regret not doing it later.

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
278 Posts
These cars are still hard to get and the market is insane right now. You can probably sell it for more than you paid. Try carvana.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Interesting. If I'd have even had an inkling I'd want a manual, I would get a manual. An automatic is a conscious decision against the manual in many ways.

Reactions: DmOcRsI

·
Super Moderator
679 Posts
Sell it privately and get a manual. You shouldn't lose that much as people who really need/want an auto would likely be pretty happy to have the car instantly for a few grand off the price. A dealer is only thinking of profit and all of their profit will be based on how little they pay you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
At first I was dead set on the auto. There’s a lot of traffic where I drive and I work in SF with a lot of hills.

I took my automatic gr86 on a touge run this weekend and was in manual sport the whole time. I wish I got the manual.

It’s my only car so when I have to go back to commuting I’m hoping the automatic makes up for it.

I also take 400 mile round trips every month so the adaptive cruise control and lane assist was a plus.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can you describe exactly what you don’t like? Is it similar to what reviewers say like slow shifting and not downshifting at any rpm?
I expect aftermarket will provide more aggressive transmission flash tunes soon.
Personally I would swap the differential with a 1st or 2nd gen manual 86 to make all gears shorter/faster acceleration.
Adaptive cruise package should come on manuals too…

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know about that. The way the used market is upsidedown right now you might make money. I was looking for a used BRZ and they wanted $5k more than a new one, so I placed an order.
You might have to trade it in at a different dealer or order one and not take one from their lot.
That sucks, I paid less than MSRP for my used BRZ.

·
Registered
6 Posts
At first I was dead set on the auto. There’s a lot of traffic where I drive and I work in SF with a lot of hills.

I took my automatic gr86 on a touge run this weekend and was in manual sport the whole time. I wish I got the manual.

It’s my only car so when I have to go back to commuting I’m hoping the automatic makes up for it.

I also take 400 mile round trips every month so the adaptive cruise control and lane assist was a plus.
What poor behavior does sport mode have in mountain run togue setting?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I know the feeling of the OP. My wife wanted a mustang of her own. She "can" but doesnt like driving manual. She wanted a convertible too so we got her a GT with the 10 speed auto. Everyone raves about how great it is and its faster than the manual... blah blah. Truth is its just not the same. A fun car without a manual just isnt fun. To me that mustang is less fun than my old miata with 1\3 the power. The BRZ only being a 6 speed with such loooong gears probably makes it feel like driving any other car. I say if there is some buyers remorse fix it ASAP while the market is in favor.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I agree with everyone else. If there ever was a time you could actually make a profit, it would be in the situation you’re in now. You could go trade it in at a dealership that loves markups and just use that in your favor, sell it privately to someone who hasn’t been able to get their hands on one, or likely sell it at a profit to places like Carvana.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I really can understand getting the automatic if you're stuck in the daily grind of city commuting, it truly does make more sense in that situation. I was in a similar situation when I was much younger, had a manual transmission Impreza RS coupe used to commute in the city. It didn't really bother me much in those younger years, but I know I would never want to live with it now. Fortunately, I now live far from any real cities, so a manual is the default option again.

·
Registered
278 Posts
none, it makes me wish I got a manual but I’d know as a daily in traffic I wouldn’t like it. Since my commute without traffic is already 30min
Manual in traffic is the best part..!! Thats when You get to shift a gear or 2, stop, repeat. Highway driving in 1 gear gets boring and may as well be driving an auto cuz there isnt any shifting going on.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Manual in traffic is the best part..!! Thats when You get to shift a gear or 2, stop, repeat. Highway driving in 1 gear gets boring and may as well be driving an auto cuz there isnt any shifting going on.
Well, as I said, maybe when you're younger. When you get older it becomes a sort of repetitive torture. I did it every day for two years, that was enough. Anyways, I see your point about highway driving, but that's not the attraction of the manual to me. It's heading off into the mountains to play with the shifter. Heck, I hate interstates so much I'll drive two-lane roads whenever I can to avoid them even if it does add some time to the trip.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts