Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Supra
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good Afternoon Everyone,

My name is Michael and I currently own a 2021 2.0 Supra as a spare / track vehicle / promotional car for my apparel company. Recently, I've been contemplating selling the Supra and picking up a 2022 GR86 Premium and them modding it to the hilt. The 2.0 Supra is an excellent car and track weapon, and despite the online hate it gets...It's still pretty darn quick and will surprise A LOT of people on the road. Currently, I can pretty much sell it for a lot more than I paid for it...Is there anyone here contemplating the same situation?

The Supra was always a car my wife and I could mod and take to a track-day or autoX. I'm thinking I can save some money, pickup a new 86 and still have a fun car to track and mod. What say you guys...Dump the Supra for a 86 or keep the Supra?

Current Supra mods;
  • Function Werks Catless Downpipe
  • P2uned Front Big Brake Race Kit
  • Armaspeed CF Intake
  • H&R Lowering Springs
  • SPL Endlinks and Traction Bars
  • A90 OEM Hood Braces
  • BMS 13MM & 15MM Spacers
  • A91 CF Rear Lip

• CeramicPro Gold Package
  • CeramicPro Kavaca Partial Clear Wrap
  • 35% Ceramic Tint

Bone stock the 2.0 Supra was cutting 1.9 60' ft times and consistent 13.4 @ 102 MPH (1/4 mile time)

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Supra
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, I'd be going with the 6-spd manual trans in the GR86. The auto ZF8 trans in the Supra is a very good responsive automatic and can hold a boat-load of torque.

From the reviews I've watched on the GR86 automatic, it doesn't seem to be transmission geared towards an enthusiast but more of a livable daily driving type of trans.

·
Registered
401 Posts
True, I'd be going with the 6-spd manual trans in the GR86. The auto ZF8 trans in the Supra is a very good responsive automatic and can hold a boat-load of torque.

From the reviews I've watched on the GR86 automatic, it doesn't seem to be transmission geared towards an enthusiast but more of a livable daily driving type of trans.
All the video reviews I've seen agree with you about the GR86 automatic -- it's just adequate at best for enthusiastic driving. Probably nowhere near as good as the ZF8 in the Supra.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Supra
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well you are not going to win any drag races in the 86. I would still take it over the Supra, but be aware that it's a different kind of animal.
That is for sure, but The GR86 wouldn't be used for that. It would be for short track use almost exclusively and a beginner car for my wife to learn manual on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts