Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
^ This. I would have it looked over carefully by a competent shop / dealer. Insurance might come into play (even though they will get their revenge premiums later).

Reactions: TRU-BOOST

·
Registered
917 Posts
Interesting point….. I’ve been front wheel drive since like 1990 and I actually felt more in control with the front wheel drive than with previous rwd cars. Test drove a Camaro back in 2015 and it was a little disconcerting.
I grew up driving nothing but RWD so it feels the most natural to me. I'm very attuned to that feeling of the rear end wanting to skate sideways. One of the reasons I went BRZ over GR86 is that "tail-happy" is not a characteristic I wanted to to be maximized. You can get the rear out on the BRZ, but you have to be trying.

Reactions: Funcarday

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Premium MT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
With all regard, if you hit hard enough to bend 2 wheels, I would not be surprised to find additional damage. You will at the least need an alignment most likely. Are they checking that at the shop as well? My wife hit a chunk of concrete that was in the roadway and it took out her wheel, a tire, and the alignment. We were very lucky to only sustain that much damage. We have a zero deductible, and claimed it without an increase in rates. YMMV
Oh, yeah... Traction control light came on the next time I cranked the car... Definitely needs an alignment.

I'm hoping that's all

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,409 Posts
All this talk of how the rear comes out so easily makes me think my car is a lemon. I have try, and I mean try really hard to make it kick out. 1st gear around a roundabout will go a little, or 2nd gear if i flick the wheel and do a clutch kick at the top of a tight freeway ramp. Even then, with all nannies off I get a little spin then it just runs out of torque and the tires grip. My girl seems very unwilling to play. But keep in mind I am used to mustangs that slide across multiple lanes of traffic and eat innocent bystanders. So maybe thats all it is.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Premium MT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
All this talk of how the rear comes out so easily makes me think my car is a lemon. I have try, and I mean try really hard to make it kick out. 1st gear around a roundabout will go a little, or 2nd gear if i flick the wheel and do a clutch kick at the top of a tight freeway ramp. Even then, with all nannies off I get a little spin then it just runs out of torque and the tires grip. My girl seems very unwilling to play. But keep in mind I am used to mustangs that slide across multiple lanes of traffic and eat innocent bystanders. So maybe thats all it is.
Hmmm... Not sure about that one. I've kicked her out in first, second and third gears

Maybe different tires on the BRZ? Just a guess.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've driven a non-turbo impreza for years now, so going to my BRZ has been an insane difference. I have to WORK to get the impreza to oversteer - hard braking for weight transfer and pendulum turning.

With my BRZ on Primacy tires I need to keep traction control on or I'm going into a jail for reckless driving. After 2500 miles my rear tires are already balding almost as bad as I am.

·
Vendor
2022 GR86 Premium MT - Neptune Blue (Pending Allocation)
512 Posts
I've driven a non-turbo impreza for years now, so going to my BRZ has been an insane difference. I have to WORK to get the impreza to oversteer - hard braking for weight transfer and pendulum turning.

With my BRZ on Primacy tires I need to keep traction control on or I'm going into a jail for reckless driving. After 2500 miles my rear tires are already balding almost as bad as I am.
Well... yeah... AWD has a STRONG Understeer tendency.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Premium MT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Wow guys... Seriously, thank you for all the help and feedback. I really didn't expect this much support! 💙

... And banter back and forth.... Makes the stress of it much easier!

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,409 Posts
I think we keep it pretty civil here as far as forums go. But at the same time a bunch of gearheads are bound to bust some balls from time to time. Its part of the fun as long as it doesnt go too far.
I will throw in a bonus story of one of my early "learning" experiences. About 20 years ago I had a buick grand national. It was a really quick car that I did some basic upgrades to. I had the trans built and a higher stall torque converter installed. I used to love sliding that car around, it was so easy and predictable for a big boat. After the trans build I attempted to slide around a corner I had been around a million times, but this time the trans did not respond how I expected. It downshifted 2 gears instead of the usual 1 and spun me into a curb pretty hard. At a quick glance it looked like just some wheel damage so I continued my drive. A few blocks later while taking a turn at a normal pace the rear wheel fell off, taking the entire axle with it and rolled right past me as the car fell to the ground on one side. Turns out the impact blew out my differential. Those cars use the diff to keep the axles in.....
oops..!!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts