Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

Registered
I would replace with stock. Does your insurance cover it after deductible? It's kind of a collision when you think about it.

Registered
2022 GR86 Premium MT
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not holding my breath on insurance covering it.

But I'll give them a call tomorrow and ask. I just dropped it off at the shop today, so I'll probably get a call tomorrow with the costs.

My wife works there, so I'm hoping for 'cost'... But, again, not holding my breath.

What's the current recommended after market choice... It may boil down to stock * 2 vs. aftermarket * 4 dollar amounts at this point.

Registered
1) Don't use insurance. Even if they cover it, it is going to be minus deductible and + increased premiums since you are at fault. Even if you have accident forgiveness, you don't want to use it for something like this.

2) Don't buy stock wheels, not 2, not 4, the price you would be paying is enormous for curbing.

Your options are to go with an aftermarket set or get the ones you have fixed. There are specialty places that can grind the edges and put a decent finish on them. It won't be as nice as new but it will be a very cheap fix at least.

Or go grab a set of forged Volks for $3500.

Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 Premium 6MT Trueno Blue (In-Transit)
You make some good points, but I don't have $3500 lying around. LoL
Join FB groups for "5x100 wheels for sale" if you're not picky. I've seen several good sets of 4 in good condition, not curbed, for less than a set of OEM, and they're usually lighter. Just be sure to check that specs work. Half the time people are including the tires in the deal too (if they're even worth using). That's what I would've done to save money and get better wheels, but I'm picky

Registered
2022 GR86 Premium MT
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can someone point me to an FAQ on rims?

I've figured out 5x100 of the bolt pattern.
And I know I've got 18" rims.
When googling, I see 18x7.5 and 18x8.5. I'm guessing that's the width of the rim, but I'm not sure, and I don't know what mine are.

And once I know, if I match those specs, are they interchangable (assuming all 4 are the same, of course)?

Registered
2022 GR86 Premium MT
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can someone point me to an FAQ on rims?

I've figured out 5x100 of the bolt pattern.
And I know I've got 18" rims.
When googling, I see 18x7.5 and 18x8.5. I'm guessing that's the width of the rim, but I'm not sure, and I don't know what mine are.

And once I know, if I match those specs, are they interchangable (assuming all 4 are the same, of course)?
Nevermind... I think I found all the specs.
Looks like factory specs are:
18x7.5J, 48mm offset, 5x100 bolt pattern

Registered
Look here... I don't see how my crappy driving is relevant... 馃ぃ

Seriously though, been driving FWD for the last 15 years and forgot how loose her backend is...
Interesting point鈥.. I鈥檝e been front wheel drive since like 1990 and I actually felt more in control with the front wheel drive than with previous rwd cars. Test drove a Camaro back in 2015 and it was a little disconcerting.

Registered
With all regard, if you hit hard enough to bend 2 wheels, I would not be surprised to find additional damage. You will at the least need an alignment most likely. Are they checking that at the shop as well? My wife hit a chunk of concrete that was in the roadway and it took out her wheel, a tire, and the alignment. We were very lucky to only sustain that much damage. We have a zero deductible, and claimed it without an increase in rates. YMMV

1 - 20 of 57 Posts