Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Halo AT 86
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First question, which direction should this clip on the pads face? When removing my front pads for cleaning/wrapping my calipers ( yep, reflective high heat green wrap i posted on my build page), the exterior facing pads had a clip on them, i assume for easier removal. I think i had to press the clip to remove/install the pads. For the rear, when I did my passenger side, I did not take note of the orientation of the clip, resulting in my deciding to position the clip to the exterior of the caliper, matching the front. Upon taking apart my driver side, I discovered the clip was facing interior of the car. For the rear, it does not appear the clip needs to be pressed for installation or removal in either orientation. Does it matter where the clip goes? Do I need to switch the pads back on my passenger side? if it matters for wear pattern, im just over 1k miles. Pics below for clip clarification.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Dog Bicycle wheel
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive design Vehicle

2nd question, the aluminum braces that hold the pads, should they be clean/dry, or oiled/lubricated? I've been cleaning them as I go along but figure i should ask if i should be going back to oil them or something. All clips were dirty, obviously with brake dust, but were not dry to the touch.

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Gas Asphalt

·
Vendor
2022 GR86 Premium MT - Neptune Blue (Pending Allocation)
433 Posts
That clip is a "cheater" bar. Basically it's a thin piece of metal, you'll notice that the end that points towards the rotor extends to just past the base? When the brake pad itself wears down and it's getting near the end, that little bar starts to touch the rotor and squeals... telling you that you REALLY need to change your pads.

ANY METAL-TO-METAL contact needs to have a little bit of that lube on there with the obvious exception being the pad-to-rotor contact.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,099 Posts
That is not the tab that makes the brakes squeal. That can be seen just to the right of it. it rolls over the edge of the pad and hits the rotor when there is about 2mm of brake pad left. I haven't looked close enough at mine to tell you what it actually is though. If I had to guess I would say it acts like a spring to keep the pad in the proper position.

·
Vendor
433 Posts
That is not the tab that makes the brakes squeal. That can be seen just to the right of it. it rolls over the edge of the pad and hits the rotor when there is about 2mm of brake pad left. I haven't looked close enough at mine to tell you what it actually is though. If I had to guess I would say it acts like a spring to keep the pad in the proper position.
The blue circled one?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I could be wrong because I havent pulled mine off yet, but looking at that pic the piece circled in blue looks to be just something for the pad alignment. The little tab I circled in red looks to be one of the wear tabs that will contact the rotor to make noise when pad material is very low. White Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Gas

·
Vendor
433 Posts
I could be wrong because I havent pulled mine off yet, but looking at that pic the piece circled in blue looks to be just something for the pad alignment. The little tab I circled in red looks to be one of the wear tabs that will contact the rotor to make noise when pad material is very low. View attachment 8936
Naw man, the one in red is just one of the 4 fingers that hold onto the pad itself.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Ah with that link it shows it much more clear. From the angle of the OP pics it looked to be bent in the wrong direction to be a cheater bar. What you cant see is the pin on the other side that points back to the rotor. Good find. 👍

·
Vendor
433 Posts
Ah with that link it shows it much more clear. From the angle of the OP pics it looked to be bent in the wrong direction to be a cheater bar. What you cant see is the pin on the other side that points back to the rotor. Good find. 👍
I've changed many a brake, my friend. One might say too many...

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR 86, Pavement Grey, Premium, MT
426 Posts
I could be wrong because I havent pulled mine off yet, but looking at that pic the piece circled in blue looks to be just something for the pad alignment. The little tab I circled in red looks to be one of the wear tabs that will contact the rotor to make noise when pad material is very low. View attachment 8936
This is right.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The clip circled in red is just part of the shim on the back of the pad. The clip in blue is bent in the picture but it's the wear indicator.
As far as lube, it's a matter of preference. I never lube there. I just make sure it's clean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts