Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It is quite a bit harder to get a good look at the base models than at the upscale models. Here in Canada, I believe only the upper-tier versions are trickling into showrooms right now. And media events typically don't pay much attention to base models. There are, of course, configurators. But these sometimes don't get the details right (they are certainly hit-and-miss for color reproduction - do not order Steel on the basis of the Toyota configurator!).

One thing that has struck my eye but that hasn't been mentioned in any of the 50 reviews that I've read or watched is that the 17" wheels appear to differ across the two brands.

It looks to me like the 17's on the BRZ are of a new design and are painted gunmetal. The base GR86, on the other hand, seems to be getting the exact same wheels from the 2017-20 cars (which, while nice, have always looked a bit dated with their angular spokes and unpainted machined faces over black paint). Can't wait to see the new wheels in person. (EDIT: a close-up pic of each is below.)

Yet another tiny difference in favor of the BRZ - for me that is! (The red-contrast stitching, body-colored mirrors, aluminum pedals, no TPMS, no-cost white paint, and of course the lower price here in Canada had already sealed it...)

Cheers,
Louis

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have Halo Premium on the way and they're swapping wheels to Base for me at the dealership. Soon as I see the wheels I'll know if they suck old looking.
I want the extra 1/2" of tire between me and the road cuz Seattle is really bad for potholes, expansion joints and such. A 3/4 mile stretch on I-5 adjacent to the old Rainier Brewery is hard to believe trust me on that!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want 17" for the same reason! In fact, it's a small miracle in this day and age that 17" are still available, and that 16" winters fit over the calipers. Potholes are my daily reality.

I hope for you that production of base models goes into full swing before your Premium arrives, or there might not be anything to swap with...

(Out of curiosity, why are you stepping up to fully loaded if not for the 18"? Suede doesn't add that much more fun...)

·
Registered
178 Posts
The dealer has one base coming in same time and will swap.
Sure the Premium has little more than the Base true, but its worth the little extra with all things considered IMO.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I want 17" for the same reason! In fact, it's a small miracle in this day and age that 17" are still available, and that 16" winters fit over the calipers. Potholes are my daily reality.

I hope for you that production of base models goes into full swing before your Premium arrives, or there might not be anything to swap with...

(Out of curiosity, why are you stepping up to fully loaded if not for the 18"? Suede doesn't add that much more fun...)
The leather/suede interior is honestly the ONLY reason I am going with a Premium. It's just enough additional touch to feel like a more premium car, but I couldn't care less about the swiveling headlights. Everything else is just a small bonus.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could it be the same, simply without the machining/facing of the spokes? Therefore softer-looking and without the two-tone of raw metal over a black-painted base?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Definitely the same wheel except the face is machined, look at the curve between each pair of spokes on the outer edge of the rim and the 'star' shaped detail between the lugs. BRZ wheel looks much better in the single colour thats for sure.
I can't zoom in far enough to see the detail clearly. But I don't think I like the Base GR wheel, and I know I don't want the Black Premium ones and absolutely not in 18"s.
So now I'm thinking I may not get the 2022 GR86 at all!
There is a Bronze 17" "accessory" wheel for the 86 bit it seems not yet available and looked a bit cheesy, dunno how it would look with Halo either.

·
Registered
2015 Toyota GT86
88 Posts
I can't zoom in far enough to see the detail clearly. But I don't think I like the Base GR wheel, and I know I don't want the Black Premium ones and absolutely not in 18"s.
So now I'm thinking I may not get the 2022 GR86 at all!
There is a Bronze 17" "accessory" wheel for the 86 bit it seems not yet available and looked a bit cheesy, dunno how it would look with Halo either.
To not buy a car because you don't like the wheel design is a bit extreme given how easy it is to change.

·
Registered
178 Posts
To not buy a car because you don't like the wheel design is a bit extreme given how easy it is to change.
Yeah I'm fussy. The BRZ 17" would be just right.
If easy to change, I would have to get rid of the Premium set and who knows who wants them, how hard to sell and get an aftermarket set for up to 2K possibly and having paid taxes on both sets?
Machine surfaced wheels and 40 aspect ratio are really off the chart for me who is fussy and doesn't like to sell stuff on social media.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have Halo Premium on the way and they're swapping wheels to Base for me at the dealership. Soon as I see the wheels I'll know if they suck old looking.
I want the extra 1/2" of tire between me and the road cuz Seattle is really bad for potholes, expansion joints and such. A 3/4 mile stretch on I-5 adjacent to the old Rainier Brewery is hard to believe trust me on that!
I believe it! I drive that stretch pretty frequently and it's comically bad. I've been considering swapping to base wheels too -- though more for the Primacy tires so I can get sideways at reasonable speeds ;). I'll probably buy a set of wheels for the track with some sticky rubber down the line.

I'm new to the area and experiencing my first winter here. Do you think snow tires are necessary for Seattle winters? Or might I be able to get away with all-seasons?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah I'm fussy. The BRZ 17" would be just right.
If easy to change, I would have to get rid of the Premium set and who knows who wants them, how hard to sell and get an aftermarket set for up to 2K possibly and having paid taxes on both sets?
Machine surfaced wheels and 40 aspect ratio are really off the chart for me who is fussy and doesn't like to sell stuff on social media.
You might be able to find someone with the opposite taste and willing to do a straight trade.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CTSOR: Primacy HP's are summers. A much more versatile tire for your climate is something like a BF Comp AS 2 (sooo much better in the wet), but these still get slidey-hard at near-freezing and can only handle a half inch of snow. There are a few true all-season tires, but these give up a lot of summer performance.

If you only get one or two snow days a year and you leave your car home on those days, that's one thing. But if you intend to actually drive in any kind of snow, then absolutely get dedicated snows. Over a couple of years, it's a very small expense.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Definitely the same wheel except the face is machined, look at the curve between each pair of spokes on the outer edge of the rim and the 'star' shaped detail between the lugs. BRZ wheel looks much better in the single colour thats for sure.
The GR86 Base 17"s are machine finish as per the build tool. I don't want machine finish or black 18"s. There are some suitable Toyota TRD ones but they're $375 plus tax.
I might bug out on my purchase.

Attachments

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You could have them repainted to hide the machining. They look so close to the 2017-20 wheels that you can make up your mind by checking out an older car.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks, probably going to bug out but will see in person and decide. Dealer will have in stock in awhile so I get to see the actual this year and iteration of Base ones.

You could have them repainted to hide the machining. They look so close to the 2017-20 wheels that you can make up your mind by checking out an older car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts