Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Fiesta ST, 2019 Shelby GT350R
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's a few of us that will drive these cars year 'round. It appears that there's plenty of room to go down two sizes for wheels, which make snow tire selection easier/cheaper... Has anyone mounted 16s on this car yet?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have 16s - 205/55/r16 on classic Steel wheels. Would def recommend, is an absolute blast in the snow
Awesome! Did you source them at Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct? Thanks!

·
Registered
'22 black BRZ Limited; 6spd m/t
21 Posts
Awesome! Did you source them at Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct? Thanks!
The local Discount Tire near me had both these wheels and tires in stock the day I called them up- seems to be a pretty common size for winter setups. Drove home with them later that same day. Not sure if still applicable but there was a $100 rebate on the x-ice tires that I chose as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did 205/55/16 on Fast Aventures. Can confirm they fit great with lotsa clearance for brakes. 16" rim/tire combo was over 400$ cheaper than 17".

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm very likely going to order myself a 16" setup for winter due to our glorious PA roads (assuming, I ever get a BRZ allocation) Curious, I found 5x100 bolt, +48 offset, but what about width of rim? What would be advisable for a 205/55/16 size tire? 7.5"? 8"? 5"?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm very likely going to order myself a 16" setup for winter due to our glorious PA roads (assuming, I ever get a BRZ allocation) Curious, I found 5x100 bolt, +48 offset, but what about width of rim? What would be advisable for a 205/55/16 size tire? 7.5"? 8"? 5"?
Great question. I think 5" wide wheel is too narrow and 8" is definitely too wide. Was there any wheel other than 7.5" (besides the 5" and 8")?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm on a 16x6.5 for that tire with a 45 offset, hubcentric. Fits pretty good! A little tucked at the back, but who cares.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm on a 16x6.5 for that tire with a 45 offset, hubcentric. Fits pretty good! A little tucked at the back, but who cares.
Wonder if the tuck is a combination of the 3mm offset and the narrower tires. Narrow is good for true snow traction.

So..... Posing a different question, I really don't care too much about deep snow traction, as I have a Jeep Gladiator with good snow tires, mostly concerned with those quick little pop-up snow and ice storms where I just couldn't get home before it started, or I hit a random icy patch from frozen runoff. In those cases, do I really need to go with a narrower tire/wheel or should I stick with as close to stock width as possible, (but def 16"... because NE PA roads suck)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wonder if the tuck is a combination of the 3mm offset and the narrower tires. Narrow is good for true snow traction.

So..... Posing a different question, I really don't care too much about deep snow traction, as I have a Jeep Gladiator with good snow tires, mostly concerned with those quick little pop-up snow and ice storms where I just couldn't get home before it started, or I hit a random icy patch from frozen runoff. In those cases, do I really need to go with a narrower tire/wheel or should I stick with as close to stock width as possible, (but def 16"... because NE PA roads suck)
Depends on how much money you want to save. I saved about 500$ vs the 17x7 setup. As far as performance, unless you go significantly thicker the difference would likely be negligible. Tyre Reviews covered this in a video.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts