Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Pavement GR86 , 2019 Shelby GT350R
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's a few of us that will drive these cars year 'round. It appears that there's plenty of room to go down two sizes for wheels, which make snow tire selection easier/cheaper... Has anyone mounted 16s on this car yet?

·
Registered
'22 black BRZ Limited; 6spd m/t
43 Posts
Awesome! Did you source them at Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct? Thanks!
The local Discount Tire near me had both these wheels and tires in stock the day I called them up- seems to be a pretty common size for winter setups. Drove home with them later that same day. Not sure if still applicable but there was a $100 rebate on the x-ice tires that I chose as well.

·
Registered
2023 Sapphire Blue BRZ Limited MT
103 Posts
I'm very likely going to order myself a 16" setup for winter due to our glorious PA roads (assuming, I ever get a BRZ allocation) Curious, I found 5x100 bolt, +48 offset, but what about width of rim? What would be advisable for a 205/55/16 size tire? 7.5"? 8"? 5"?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm very likely going to order myself a 16" setup for winter due to our glorious PA roads (assuming, I ever get a BRZ allocation) Curious, I found 5x100 bolt, +48 offset, but what about width of rim? What would be advisable for a 205/55/16 size tire? 7.5"? 8"? 5"?
Great question. I think 5" wide wheel is too narrow and 8" is definitely too wide. Was there any wheel other than 7.5" (besides the 5" and 8")?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm on a 16x6.5 for that tire with a 45 offset, hubcentric. Fits pretty good! A little tucked at the back, but who cares.

·
Registered
2023 Sapphire Blue BRZ Limited MT
103 Posts
I'm on a 16x6.5 for that tire with a 45 offset, hubcentric. Fits pretty good! A little tucked at the back, but who cares.
Wonder if the tuck is a combination of the 3mm offset and the narrower tires. Narrow is good for true snow traction.

So..... Posing a different question, I really don't care too much about deep snow traction, as I have a Jeep Gladiator with good snow tires, mostly concerned with those quick little pop-up snow and ice storms where I just couldn't get home before it started, or I hit a random icy patch from frozen runoff. In those cases, do I really need to go with a narrower tire/wheel or should I stick with as close to stock width as possible, (but def 16"... because NE PA roads suck)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wonder if the tuck is a combination of the 3mm offset and the narrower tires. Narrow is good for true snow traction.

So..... Posing a different question, I really don't care too much about deep snow traction, as I have a Jeep Gladiator with good snow tires, mostly concerned with those quick little pop-up snow and ice storms where I just couldn't get home before it started, or I hit a random icy patch from frozen runoff. In those cases, do I really need to go with a narrower tire/wheel or should I stick with as close to stock width as possible, (but def 16"... because NE PA roads suck)
Depends on how much money you want to save. I saved about 500$ vs the 17x7 setup. As far as performance, unless you go significantly thicker the difference would likely be negligible. Tyre Reviews covered this in a video.

·
Registered
PBGR86
399 Posts
We run 16x7 Sparco Terra’s with 215/65/16 A/T Light Truck tires on our FRS. It also has a 1.5” spacer lift. Ride quality is OEM, and it has been a blast in the winter as well.

We primarily use this car as a DD, but the wife loves the Rally appearance, so we opted for that route.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone know if 15” wheels will fit? Haven’t researched, but I run a -2” snow tire setup on my Fiesta ST. Front brakes are the limiting factor....

·
Registered
PBGR86
399 Posts
Anyone know if 15” wheels will fit? Haven’t researched, but I run a -2” snow tire setup on my Fiesta ST. Front brakes are the limiting factor....
Yes.

Method wheels makes a 15" setup. See DirtFish Rally School, or RallyReady Rally School, or Team O'neil Rally School for pictures of the cars.

Dave, from RallyReady, is super friendly! If you give him a call, he will get you all setup with the specs. I can't remember off the top of my head.

512 394 3652

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes.

Method wheels makes a 15" setup. See DirtFish Rally School, or RallyReady Rally School, or Team O'neil Rally School for pictures of the cars.

Dave, from RallyReady, is super friendly! If you give him a call, he will get you all setup with the specs. I can't remember off the top of my head.

512 394 3652
I was thinking just steelies for wheels.

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 Premium Raven
165 Posts
I was thinking just steelies for wheels.
I don't love the standard steelies with all the small perimeter holes. If someone makes a proper steel 5 spoke that would work for me. Or some Corolla hub caps I guess, but then I could take that extra $75/wheel cover and just upgrade to a lower cost alloy wheel. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't love the standard steelies with all the small perimeter holes. If someone makes a proper steel 5 spoke that would work for me. Or some Corolla hub caps I guess, but then I could take that extra $75/wheel cover and just upgrade to a lower cost alloy wheel. Decisions, decisions.
I don’t get the $95 TireRack charges for a simple steel wheel...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts